- Government should provide income support & invest in public health: Jahangir Azizon January 23, 2021 at 5:30 pm
The world changed in 2020. Earlier, globalisation took the form of horizontal expansion of the supply chain. Post the pandemic, it might mean vertically deepening supply chains in a few geographies, says Jahangir Aziz.
- Traditional ‘halwa ceremony’ held at Finance Ministry, ahead of Union Budgeton January 23, 2021 at 12:38 pm
- FM launches Union Budget mobile app, Halwa Ceremony conductedon January 23, 2021 at 11:59 am
Unlike the past, the voluminous budget documents will not be printed this year following the COVID-19 protocol and will instead be distributed electronically to the Members of Parliament (MPs).
- Companies approach Gujarat High Court over penalty, interest payment on input tax crediton January 23, 2021 at 10:06 am
The input tax credit mechanism under the GST framework allows companies to set off part of the tax paid against future tax liabilities. When companies pay GST, it is typically paid in two parts—tax and tax credit set-offs.
- RBI’s inflation targeting policy helps improve external competitiveness as inflation differentials with trading partners narrowon January 23, 2021 at 6:01 am
In a study Real effective exchange rate (REER) or inflation adjusted effective exchange rate into nominal exchange rates (NEER) and average relative prices shows that inflation differentials (between India and its major trading partners) have remained broadly stable in recent years, according to a research paper published in the Reserve Bank of India’s latest monthly bulletin.
- Follow China, Bangladesh’s cue or try something new? Here’s a budget idea to settle the growth debateon January 23, 2021 at 5:16 am
IMF has projected Bangladesh’s per capita GDP to overtake that of India’s.
- Heavy winter rain brings hope of bumper ‘first flush’ crop in Bengal tea belton January 22, 2021 at 6:37 pm
After months long dry spell, heavy showers during last week have brought smiles back in the tea belt in Bengal. Blessed with the winter time rain, the golden beverage arena is expecting year 2121 to be the fourth consecutive one to give high yield of post winter high value ‘first flush’ tea.
- Repealing farm laws will mean no one will have courage to bring them back later: NITI memberon January 22, 2021 at 4:08 pm
Thousands of farmers, especially from Punjab, Haryana and parts of Uttar Pradesh, are agitating at various borders of the national capital seeking repeal of the farm laws and legal guarantee of the government for minimum support price of their crops.
- FY22 Budget should prioritise tax reforms: Arvind Virmani, former Chief Economic Advisoron January 22, 2021 at 12:06 pm
“The most important issue is tax reforms and the first element of that is the direct tax code. We cannot create a 21st century Atmanirbhar Bharat with these ancient codes and we need to bring it up to the 21st century,” Virmani said, virtually addressing a conference hosted by the Associated Chambers of Commerce and Industry of India (ASSOCHAM) on Friday.
- About 50% industry respondents feel Budget will revive their business, says Deloitte surveyon January 22, 2021 at 11:48 am
The online Deloitte survey titled – Would Union Budget 2021 accelerate the industry’s recovery? – posed a set of about 12 questions, including on economic revival and ease of doing business, to senior professionals across industries.
- RBI proposes scale-based regulations for shadow bankson January 22, 2021 at 11:43 am
“Higher risk appetite of NBFCs has contributed to their size, complexity and interconnectedness making some of the entities systemically significant, posing potential threat to financial stability,” the RBI said.
- Road Transport and Highways Ministry inks pact with IIT Roorkeeon January 22, 2021 at 10:50 am
According to the statement, the move will help in facilitating or undertaking dissemination of technology upgrades in planning, design, construction and operation and maintenance for highway development through standards, guidelines, seminars, training and user manuals.
- Budget must focus on resolving demand-side issues: Ind-Raon January 22, 2021 at 8:30 am
The pandemic induced lockdowns resulted in the economy tanking 23.9 per cent in the June quarter but made a dramatic recovery with the contraction improving to just 7.5 per cent in Q2 and is likely to re-enter the green zone in the second half which may help the economy close FY21 with a contraction of 7.5-8 per cent.
- Covid-19 resulted in jobs moving away from high labour productive sectors to agri, construction: CMIEon January 22, 2021 at 7:24 am
Data from the Consumer Pyramids Household Survey of CMIE shows employment in agriculture shot up and touched its peak in July and August at 160 million resulting in total employment in the sector in the quarter ended on September 30 at 158 million, which is 5.5% higher than the corresponding quarter a year ago.
- Budget cues for MGNREGA, Modi govt’s unlikely saviour in a pandemicon January 22, 2021 at 7:04 am
The lockdown proved to be a death knell for daily wage labourers mostly engaged in construction and other activities in urban areas.